International Rules on Liquids, Aerosols and Gels
Many international and domestic airports around Asia have implemented restrictions on the carriage of liquids, aerosols and gels in carry-on bags. The rules are generally in line with new guidelines set by the international Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). See the "Security" pages for each airport to see if these rules apply to you.
The restrictions are as follows:
- Liquids, aerosols and gels must be in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each. Liquids, aerosols and gels in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if the container is partially-filled.
- Containers must be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity not exceeding 1-litre. These containers must fit comfortably within the transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed.
- Each passenger is allowed to carry only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be presented separately for examination at the security screening point.
- Exemptions will be made for medications, baby food and special dietary items. These items will be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.
Examples of liquids, aerosols and gels include:
- Drinks, including water and juices
- Soups and sauces
- Perfumes and deodorants (liquid or liquid-solid mixture)
- Creams, balms, lotions and oils
- Cosmetics such as mascara and lip gloss
- Pastes, including toothpaste
- Pressurised foams and sprays, including shaving foam, hairspray and spray deodorants
- Gels, including hair and shower gels
- Contact lens solution
- any other item of similar consistency
Note: The above items are some common examples and are not exhaustive.
- These items must be packed in a transparent, sealed plastic bag. Receipts of the purchased duty free items must be attached or enclosed in the bag.
- Inflight duty free purchases from previous sectors will be allowed onboard for transiting / transferring passengers if they are packed in transparent, sealed plastic bags with receipt attached.
- Items, which are not permitted through security checkpoints due to the "Liquids, Aerosols and Gels" restrictions, will be disposed of at the gate.